Issue 182 in svnbook: ch04: Rework vendor branch section. Entirely.

svnbook at googlecode.com svnbook at googlecode.com
Tue Jan 22 16:28:06 CST 2013

Comment #1 on issue 182 by cmpilato: ch04: Rework vendor branch section.
Entirely.
http://code.google.com/p/svnbook/issues/detail?id=182

> Creating the first mirrored source via 'import', successive
> one as branch+diff (maybe svn_load_dirs.pl gets revived).

Need to explain this, if only so I remember.  Part of the issue with
dealing with locally mirrored third-party sources is that simple imports
aren't ancestrally connected and don't properly carry rename information.
So 'svn merge' across them needs --ignore-ancestry just to avoid treating
the whole op as a massive delete + a massive add.  Better to import v1 of
the vendor code, then create v2 as a branch + all the mods required to make
v1 look like v2 (ideally preserving renames).  That would at least give svn
merge a fighting chance today, and possibly a very real probability of
success in the future.