Issue 102 in svnbook: ch06: svnserve as a windows service under cygwin

svnbook at googlecode.com svnbook at googlecode.com
Thu Jan 2 19:41:11 CST 2014

Comment #13 on issue 102 by karthik.... at gmail.com: ch06: svnserve as a
windows service under cygwin
http://code.google.com/p/svnbook/issues/detail?id=102

Hi, hope this thread is still active. I've installed Cygwin 1.7.27 on a
Windows 2003 Standard Edition (32 bit) box and setup SVN 1.8.5 on it. I've
integrated it with AD and it all works flawlessly. I've created a windows
service for SASLAUTHD but for some reason I'm unable to create one for
svnserve. Below is the command, the service starts and immediately stops
itself.

cygrunsrv --install SVNserve --path /usr/bin/svnserve --args '-d
--config-file /mnt/svn/conf/svnserve.conf –r /mnt/svn' --dep Tcpip
--desc "Subversion 1.8.5 - svnserve"

Please note the repository is on a network share which I've mounted on
/mnt/svn and the full setup is working fine when accessed via TortoiseSVN,
problem is with Windows service. Anything on this would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

Eventviewer log:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( SVNserve ) cannot be found.
the local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
SVNserve: PID 1216: 'SVNserve' service stopped, exit status: 1.