Issue 102 in svnbook: ch06: svnserve as a windows service under cygwin

svnbook at googlecode.com svnbook at googlecode.com
Thu Jan 2 22:05:56 CST 2014

Comment #14 on issue 102 by karthik.... at gmail.com: ch06: svnserve as a
windows service under cygwin
http://code.google.com/p/svnbook/issues/detail?id=102

Hi, hope this thread is still active. I've installed Cygwin 1.7.27 on a
Windows 2003 Standard Edition (32 bit) box and setup SVN 1.8.5 on it. I've
integrated it with AD and it all works flawlessly. I've created a windows
service for SASLAUTHD and it works (albeit I see some weird SLAPD related
errors on eventviewer upon startup / shutdown of service) but for some
reason I'm unable to create one for svnserve. Below is the command, the
service starts and immediately stops itself.

cygrunsrv --install SVNserve --path /usr/bin/svnserve --args '-d
--config-file /mnt/svn/conf/svnserve.conf –r /mnt/svn' --dep Tcpip
--desc "Subversion 1.8.5 - svnserve"

Please note the repository is on a network share which I've mounted on
/mnt/svn and the full setup is working fine when accessed via TortoiseSVN,
problem is with Windows service. I've also attached cygcheck log in case if
it's of any help (please note though, all site, server info have been
modified for obvious reasons). Anything on this would be greatly
appreciated.

Eventviewer log:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( SVNserve ) cannot be found.
the local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
SVNserve: PID 1216: 'SVNserve' service stopped, exit status: 1.

thanks,
Karthik Durairajan

Attachments:
	cygcheck.out  21.9 KB