Compiling and hacking on the SVNBook with Visual Studio 2017 and Windows 10

Pavel Lyalyakin pavel.lyalyakin at
Thu Aug 24 08:11:57 CDT 2017

I want to share a procedure to prepare Visual Studio environment on Windows for
SVNBook development. Just made a few commits from my environment to trunk/ and
it seems to me that it works well. I previously used Cygwin-based environment
with older Visual Studio versions, but it was not as nice as the new one. I am
sure that this procedure could be improved, though. :)

You will need the latest Visual Studio 2017 (free Community Edition will do),
Windows 10 64-bit and Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).

1. Install WSL:
2. Install Visual Studio 2017:
3. Start `bash` and install the following packlages:
   - make
   - libxml2-utils
   - libxslt1.1
   - python
   - xsltproc
   apt-get install make xsltproc python libxml2-utils libxslt1.1
4. Checkout SVNBook sources trunk/ to C:\svnbook_source
5. Download docbook-xsl and extract it into C:\svnbook_source\tools\xsl
6. Start Visual Studio 2017 and run File | Open | Folder. Navigate to
   C:\svnbook_source and click Select Folder.
7. In Solution Explorer, right-click svnbook_source C:\svnbook_source and select
   Configure Tasks.
8. Enter the following task and save the file:
  "version": "0.2.1",
  "tasks": [
      "taskName": "make all-html",
      "appliesTo": "Makefile",
      "type": "command",
      "contextType": "build",
      "command": "C:\\Windows\\Sysnative\\bash.exe",
      "args": [ "-c", "'make all-html'"]

The environment is ready. You can modify the contents of SVNBook in Visual
Studio and use your favorite SVN client. In order to build the book from
sources, right-click the `Makefile` in Solution Explorer and click Build.

With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin
VisualSVN Team